Deer Swiss Steak
- 2 lb. deer round or chuck steak
- 1/2 c. flour (seasoned with 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper)
- 1/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1 med. onion (chopped)
- 2 carrots (fine chopped or grated)
- 1 (#303) can sliced stewed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Roux (2 tbsp. flour dissolved in 2 tbsp. melted butter)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in iron or heavy skillet over medium heat. Dredge steaks in seasoned flour and brown on both sides slowly over medium heat. Remove meat, set aside.
- Add 1 cup water, onion, carrot, Worcestershire sauce and stewed tomatoes. Stir while bringing vegetables to a boil. Reduce heat. Add meat. Cover and simmer until meat is tender. Remove meat carefully with slotted spoon or spatula. Place in serving bowl.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in roux until smooth. Stirring constantly, heat to boiling over medium heat. Cook until slightly thickened. Taste, adjust seasonings. Pour over meat. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Search, share, and cook your recipes on Mac OS X with SousChef!